August 9, 2009

Groceries




This is H Mart, a chain Korean grocery store in the Northern Virginia area. We had the pleasure of getting some of our groceries from that store earlier this afternoon. The store has not only a large selection of produce that us Asians like to eat, but it's also got a good frozen and meat section which caters to other minority groups and their eating habits.

The top picture was a snapshot of what we had purchased... you can probably make out the two bags of frozen dumplings, followed by an assortment of greens (Japanese cucumbers, squash, spinach, etc.) fruits (apples, plums, peaches, and these giant green seedless grapes) one container of Korean sweet and spicy ricecakes, and side dishes which include seaweed salad and kimchee vegetables.

While I've always enjoyed shopping at H Mart, I still have a special place in my heart for a good Chinese grocery store. Unfortunately, the one local chain Chinese grocery store's products just don't compare to that of H Mart's.

As a lover of all food, I've been eating a surprisingly little amount of fruits and vegetables.  (My grandma in heaven would agree!)  The primary reason for that is simply my laziness. Most of the vegetables which us Asians like to eat (bok choys, etc.), are best either steamed (I lack the proper material to do so) stir-fried, or braised in some yummy sauce.  I hope to be able to at least do some quick stir-frying in the evening to these beautiful vegetables!

No comments:

Post a Comment