August 16, 2009

Grocery stores



The best kind of grocery stores to me are not necessarily chain grocery stores like the Safeways or Giants, and not even the Whole Foods or the Harris Teeters (I don't know if they're just a Virginia thing).  Even though these stores are very convenient, and some of them even have somewhat of an appropriate ethnic foods section, my preferred kind of grocery shopping would actually be like this...

1. A farmer's market for vegetables and fruits. Back in the day, my grandma and I would always visit these open-air markets everyday or every other day to get the necessary food for the day. Refrigeration was only used for storing dairy products or meats. I think this is also very similar to the Europeans and how they shop for groceries, they never get more than what they need for the day.

2. Meat would be purchased at a local butcher's shop. That would be great except I'm really clueless as to what cuts of meats are used for what specific dishes, but I'm getting there!

3. Fishes and other types of seafood would be purchased from fish markets, think Pike's Place Market in Seattle. Unfortunately, I don't live anywhere near Seattle, but if I did, I think I'd be eating a lot more fishes!

4. A dry goods store for grains and other dry foods and spices. These stores would usually sell in some kind of a bulk volume, and eliminate the need for fancy packaging. This kind of shopping you will do maybe once or twice a month.

Don't get me wrong, you should see how my face lights up every time that I go to a good, well-lit, clean, and air-conditioned grocery store! As much as I can be a food snob, I'm not sure if I've entirely converted to the concept of ultra-healthy, no-gluten, wheat-free, and organic food. (Sorry Whole Foods, I love you but I don't believe in you!)  I think there are better ways to deprive yourself.  There is a distinct difference between eating fresher produce and produce that has been sitting in some packaging for days if not weeks on end.  Therefore, if we had the time and the resources, I'd definitely shop for groceries the Asian and European way!

No comments:

Post a Comment